Over time, the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences (CALS) has created a rich legacy of discoveries and outreach that have shaped the world we live in. The CALS History Work Group was established to collect, preserve and catalog items that tell these stories; and to promote the history of CALS for current and future students, alumni and employees.
The work group recruits retired and active CALS faculty and staff volunteers to participate in these four sub-teams, adding their collective experience and knowledge to the group’s work:
- Financial support – many of the activities discussed by the work group have not been pursued for the lack of funds to carry out the work. Seek sponsors, donors or other funds to support projects.
- Outreach – share the stories of CALS history via news channels and at events. This includes the project with Life Sciences Communication students writing stories for Agri-View.
- Photo project – help identify and preserve historic photos that are undocumented.
- Walking tour – update the comprehensive walking tour of the CALS campus that was written in 2013 and explore options for incorporating technology or other changes.
Want to help? Send an email to tell us about your connection to CALS, stories and artifacts you may have, and to select a sup-team you might want to help with (please note: you do not need to live in the Madison-area to help–much of the work can be done remotely).
Members of the work group:
- George Shook, Chair, Professor Emeritus, Dairy Science
- Arne Alanen, Professor Emeritus, Landscape Architecture
- Sally Leong, Professor Emeritus, Plant Pathology
- Ellen Maurer, Emeritus Staff, Life Sciences Communication
- Bob Mitchell, Emeritus Staff, External Relations
- Dave Nelson, Professor Emeritus, Biochemistry
- Ronald Schuler, Professor Emeritus, Biological Systems Engineering
- Millard Susman, Professor Emeritus, Genetics
- Stanley Temple, Professor Emeritus, Forest and Wildlife Ecology
- Ted Tibbitts, Professor Emeritus, Horticulture
- Bill Tishler, Professor Emeritus, Landscape Architecture
- Kara Luedtke, Project Manager, Staff, External Relations